Monday, September 28, 2009

Health update - Cancer

I got the call from the orthopedic oncologist today. The results are not good. The results came back as neuroendocrine tumors which are malignant. The doctor let me know that this type of cancer is very rare and is outside of his area of expertise, so he was not able to give me too much information.

The good news is that this type of cancer is treatable and has a good success rate with chemotherapy. He says that typically this type comes from the small intestine, so he is referring me to a gastrointestinal oncologists who specializes in this type of thing to determine exactly where it could be coming from. There is the possibility if small intestine that some of it would have to be removed. It's really too early to know at this point.

He says that the GI will want to run an octreatide scan and some more tests first before anything else, so yet more tests and scans! He told me to expect to hear from the GI by tomorrow. I haven't heard from them yet.

I really appreciate your continued prayers, thoughts, encouragement, and support. They means so much to all of us. I am believing God that He will pull me through this. I know that my eternity with Him is secure, but I believe He still has work for me to do on this Earth, so I will believe the report of the Lord and I claim healing! With faith in the Lord God and your support, I know I will make it through this difficult time. I wish I knew how long this road will be. I can only take it one day at a time. I always hated that phrase, but honestly, it's all we can do is put our trust in the Lord and take it a day at a time. I will hold on and maintain a positive attitude that I will beat this thing!