Thursday, February 4, 2010

Gary update - 2/4/10

Well, I had my F Dopa Scan and mapping today. I didn't have a bad reaction to the F Dopa thank the Lord! I did get a slight headache, but nothing compared to the reactions I've had to some of the other stuff.

I will go in on Monday, February 15 for a "Film check" (verification of treatment planning) and then will begin the four weeks of radiation starting the following day, Tuesday, February 16, each weekday morning.

The tech marked everywhere on my waist and hips where they need to focus and put heavy duty tape over each mark to keep it from washing off. I can shower with the tape, avoiding the water hitting it directly. I also can't take a bath or go in a pool or anywhere where the tape could wash off and affect the markings.

The doctor said I should expect more fatigue and possibly nausea, but that should be it. I'm hoping that the fatigue won't be so bad that I can't work, but we'll just have to wait and see how the treatments affect me.

I have been told by Moffitt that I do need to still have the octreatide scan; however, a firm date has not been set. The octreatide drug which is manufactured in Europe is still on hold for whatever reason. This is affecting every hospital that does these scans, not just Moffitt, but it's holding up all octreatide appointments. The doctor has tentatively set me up for March 4 and 5 (Thursday and Friday) for both days of the scan and the follow up. Originally he had said the follow up would be the following week, but changed his mind when he remembered how far away we lived. So the plan now is day 1 of the scan on the 4th then day 2 of the scan on the 5th in the morning with the follow up appointment that afternoon. This is, of course, subject to change depending on whether the drug becomes available by that time. They're cautiously optimistic at this point, but the hold has already gone on longer than they were originally told.

I'll let you know how the treatments go and once the Moffitt appointment is officially set. It looks like next week I actually get to have a full week with no cancer-related appointments! I'll enjoy it while I can. Thanks for your continued prayers, support, and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment