Saturday, August 21, 2010

Follow up to 8/19/10 status - chemo

I guess they want to get going faster than I expected!

I got a call yesterday afternoon that my first chemo appointment is this Monday (8/23). Apparently I have to go through a "chemo class" that will take a few hours, then meet with the doctor, and have some lab work done. They said day 1 to expect to be there all day! If there is enough time after all this, I will get my first round of chemo on Monday, otherwise, it will be Tuesday.

As I mentioned, I will get three rounds three straight days in a row every three weeks.

They said that I "most likely" will lose my hair, so I guess it's time to go shopping for big head caps and hats. Fun fun!

I am obviously very anxious about this. I don't know exactly what to expect. I've spoken to some at the doctors who have had both radiation and chemo and they all said that radiation was worse. Most have said that the days of the actual treatments and a day or two after were bad, but then they bounced back. So I can look forward to four or five days of feeling like crap every three weeks. The main side effect is fatigue which I'm already living with on a daily basis. There is a possibility of nausea and vomitting which have also become old friends; however, they said that they mix in anti-nausea medication in with the chemo to curb these side effects.

Please continue to keep me in your prayers. This is all happening so fast that I feel like I'm caught up in a whirlwind, but my anchor holds to the Solid Rock -- Jesus! He has helped calm my fears and worries, but it is a constant day-by-day, hour-by-hour, minute-by-minute, sometimes second-by-second battle.

Thank you for your continued prayers, love, and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment