Thursday, August 5, 2010

Update to 7/30/10 posting

I got a call today directly from my GI oncologist at Moffitt. I didn't get to the phone in time and he called twice within about a minute. This had me nervous enough because he never calls directly. He always has his nurse call.

When I finally was able to speak to him, he said that he had received my PET scan results from my radiation oncologist's office and reviewed them with a radiologist. In his words, the comparison is "inexplicable". He said he's never seen anything like it before. That shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone at this point since I just obviously have a weird body! He is bewildered that he and the radiologist both agree that the three-phase CT shows nothing on the liver but they can't explain why my liver is so brightly lit up on the PET scan.

The doctor would like to repeat the PET scan at Moffitt in "a week or two", so it looks like it'll be back to Tampa much earlier than we thought (originally I wasn't to go back until October 1). My PET scan currently scheduled with my radiation oncologist will be canceled.

The doctor wants to be sure I discuss the Sandostatin with my general oncologist her in town. Fortunately, I have a follow up appointment with them in the morning, so we can discuss that then. It's too early to do my next Zometa infusion and they can be done together, so I don't know if I'll get the first shot tomorrow or if they'll opt to wait until my Zometa infusion. That has yet to be scheduled but is usually sometime in the third week of the month.

Moffitt will be calling me to schedule the PET scan appointment. I'll let you know when I know for sure. The doctor says we will do the follow up on the same day, so I won't have to wait, thank the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment