Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Gary update 8/24/10 - Chemo day 1 and schedule

Ok, after 2 days going through the class and my first day of chemo (today), I think I finally understand enough of how this process will work to explain the schedule coherently.

Every three weeks (this week being the first week), I will have 3 days of chemo and one day of a just a single shot. This will be Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays for the chemo and Fridays for the shot. Each day’s length will vary because of what is involved. All appointments will be in the afternoon (usually 1 p.m.)

Day 1 (Tuesday) – I will meet with the doctor, have lab work done, receive some anti-nausea medicine, and receive two different forms of chemo on day 1, one called Carboplatin and one called VP-16. Carboplatin takes an hour to infuse and VP-16 30-45 minutes, so between all that, seeing the doctor, etc., this will be by far the longest day.

Day 2 (Wednesday) – I will just have VP-16 this day. Also, to kill two birds with one stone, the doctor has arranged to do my Zometa the same day (it was every 4 weeks for Zometa, now it will be 3). So the time will be lessened in that I won't have the Carboplatin, but lengthened in that the Zometa will be added.

Day 3 (Thursday) – Just VP-16 this day. Short day!

Day 4 (Friday) – I will receive a simple injection of a drug called Neulasta which increases white blood cell production. Typically with chemo, the blood counts are lowered. If the white cells are reduced, this reduces immunity. This drug jump starts the body to produce more white blood cells than normal to reduce the impact on my immune system.

Even on non-chemo weeks, I must still report in one day each week (currently every Tuesday) to have blood drawn and my blood counts checked. I must wait for the labs to come back as a significant drop in blood cell count can be very serious and they can’t wait three weeks between to check it.

The chemo drugs have numerous side effects, so I have to keep a close eye on my temperature and some other factors and call the doctor immediately. I may have to go in unexpectedly if side effects arise.

The only other issue is that it has been recommended that I have a port installed. This is a tube that is run into a main blood vessel of the hurt. The port itself is under the skin, so nothing is exposed, but it allows them to hook my up without have to run an IV each time. We had a lot of trouble today getting the IV in and they’re concerned the my arm veins are collapsing with having had so many IVs so far. I’m still weighing this decision. Evidently it is a simple twilight sedation procedure that only takes about half an hour to implant.Everything is under the skin, so I can shower with it, swim with it, etc. and have no problems (almost sounds like a plug for a Hair Club for Men commercial).

I know this is a lot of information. I can hardly figure it out. Needless to say this is going to be time intensive and I’m not looking forward to it or any side effects.

I'm not looking forward to all the time and hassle involved, I’m hoping and praying that the chemo will be a success so it will be worth it. Thank you for your continued thoughts, prayers, and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment