Thursday, August 19, 2010

Gary update 8/19/10 - Bad news

I  got a call from the doctor in Tampa today with the results of my latest PET scan and things don't look good from a medical standpoint.

The doctor says that not only did my liver light up on the scan as before, but that it shows that the tumors in the liver have grown even since the last PET scan. Therefore, the doctor feels that, under the circumstances with what he is seeing, he believes that the original diagnosis is incorrect and that I in fact have the aggressive form of neuroendocrine cancer instead of the slow-growing form.

The way that the aggressive form is treated versus the slow-growing form is completely different, therefore, we are going to have to do a full 180 on the treatment regimen. I may still get the monthly Zometa infusion (I forgot to ask about that), but otherwise, the approach will radically change.

Sandostatin that he just put me on this month does not work on the aggressive form, so I am being taken off that immediately. Previously, chemotherapy was not an option, but it is the best option for the aggressive type.

As soon as possible, every three weeks, I will be receiving three straight days of chemo. This will be administered here locally by my general oncologist at St. Vincent's. The main side effects of this are fatigue and low blood count, so that my immune system will be compromised. This will go on indefinitely as long as I am able to tolerate the chemo.

I will go back to Tampa in six weeks for follow up. I believe this will become a regular routine of having the chemo here locally and going to Tampa every six weeks or so for follow up. At this point, I'm not sure on that.

The doctor says that the tumors in my liver are so diffuse throughout my liver that there will be no way to treat these either via surgery or radiation therapy. This is why a systemic regimen is being recommended.

The doctor must get in touch with my local oncologist to get things set up, so I don't know when the chemo will begin, but it will begin sooner rather than later. I will let you know when they will start. I will have a lot more questions when I meet with my oncologist to discuss this. Will I lose my hair, etc.? I don't know that.

We have spoken to the kids at a high level about this. We have told them about the cancer in my liver and the need to keep up the fight in prayer and every other means at our disposal.

This is obviously a big shock. We are still trying to absorb it all. I know above all else that God is in control and that He holds the keys of life and death. His Word says that my number of days were known before I was ever born, so I place my trust in Him now more than ever that He is the Great Physician and that He is my Healer. Earthly medicine is limited, but God is not limited. Nothing is impossible with Him! Praise be to His Name!

I thank God for my prayer warriors at home, and for so many in the Body of Christ who continue daily to hold me up in prayer. Whether you believe or not, I thank you all for your thoughts and encouragement, and I am grateful for all who have stepped in to help my family and me, taking me to appointments, watching the kids at a moment's notice, even mowing our yard! I am so blessed to have so many wonderful family, friends, and brothers and sisters in Christ. I know with God's help and in His strength and with your encouragement, I have already won!

No comments:

Post a Comment