Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Art Therapy week 2




This week was Art Therapy week number 2. This week we all did strong boxes. These are folded paper boxes that we wrote on the top in white crayon the things that made us strong and as we painted the paper the invisible white letters became visible. Inside the box held little secret slips of paper that held our fears. Some of my fears were "being a widow by 40" "watching my big strong man fade". Gary's mostly were about us about not being able to provide for us. One of his biggest fears is that if something happens to him we would loose our home (he is my knight). The kids came bounding back into the room and of course they told us there fears were things like " I am afraid of Winnie the Pooh" or "I am afraid of bees". As they ran out to get some energy out on the playground I did what every good mom would do so don't judge me :) I looked in Cassie's strong box and they did take it seriously but like we all do more often than we should the true fears where folded in humor. Tightly folded was " I am afraid Daddy will not be able to play with me like he did" and " I am afraid things will never be the same again". As tears filled my eyes I reassured Gary they are taking it very seriously and closed up the box.

The girls have clung to art therapy they are with kindred spirits this has been a group where they can be comfortable with everyone,the teachers are there for them and the kids are in the same boat as them. It has been great for Gary too because he feels like he is not alone there are others who are facing this horrible beast of cancer. He is seeing the faces of the other people in the group and realizes that the flood of emotions that we are going thru is not unique to us. I on the other hand I tend to put myself in go mode and try hard not to think about things I KNOW but it is easier to just to move forward but nights like these make me stop and really deal with the emotions that are there. These people aren't interested in a trite "I am fine" answer they dig and its good but wow is it hard.



God in heaven take heed of all those fears placed in those strong boxes and replace those fears with the peace that passes any understanding so that we can not walk in fear but in the blessed assurance that you are with us no matter what..

1 comment:

  1. Wow...a very honest and heartfelt post. I love the way this art group is working. God bless them and you all. You are not alone...not even close and you are greatly loved! xo Hazel

    ReplyDelete