Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Art Therapy


Tonight was our first night at Family art therapy. We started out the night horribly lost, then once we got there they informed the kids that instead of pizza they were going to have chicken salad on pita bread and fruit salad. Anyone want to venture a guess how the kids took that revalation :). We sat as a family during dinner or as my girls made sure we knew was really a snack, during dinner we got to meet all the staff. All the staff and volunteers were so nice everyone bent over back words to make this a pleasant experience, the lady in charge of name tags even said she would make Merry's doll a name tag next week (that just about made me cry). Then we broke up the kids went to their groups then the adults went to theirs. We shared how our children were coping with treatments and shared how hard it was to sit and look at our kids sweet faces and tell them that daddy had cancer, then I shared how I have had to Field pointed questions like "is Daddy going to die?". We all agreed how do you answer that. Everyone there had different forms of cancer and at different stages but we all had one thing in common our spouses had cancer that could possibly kill them and we had small children who we have to try to preserve their mental health while not loosing our own.
I was a little surprised my my feelings after the group I thought I would feel so much better but I really didn't. I am not sure why but when I got home a full on bummed out was my mood. I am happy the kids enjoyed themselves they LOVED the art and they are thrilled we will have a party on the 6th week at the Cummer. I haven't told them some of their art work will actually hang at the Cummer yet that will be the ultimate for them. Even though I am a little down tonight I cannot wait to go back one thing felt good being with people who were in exactly the same boat as us. I now have 5 new amazing families to add to my prayers.

Lord bless those families that were represented tonight bless them with your peace, provision for all the miriad of medical expences and health, touch their bodies Lord and heal them of this horribloe disease and grant those sweet children the gift of both parents.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you were bummed out, as I understand it that is a fairly normal feeling. <3 you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I'm not a psychiatrist but, instead of "stuffing" your concerns, you probably felt safe enough(in the group)to ventilate without thought of being judged. Bringing your feelings to the surface is seldom comfortable (in fact, it can be a bummer). Facing the beast is daunting but empowering. Especially when we know in Whom we are hidden and in Whom we trust. Consider yourselves loved and hugged!

    ReplyDelete