Monday, March 22, 2010

Gary update 3/22 - Radiation Graduation!

I found out my radiation actually ended TODAY not tomorrow like they originally said! Praise God! So I'm done with radiation, at least for now. I met with the doctor this morning and he said I could expect the radiation side effects to linger for two weeks! Yikes! Of course, he said that it won't be like two weeks from today, I'll suddenly feel better. He says it will be gradual. Having gone through weekends with no treatments, I know that the side effects won't go away in earnest for at least two to three days. So I'm excited yet sick as a dog at the same time. I've been in bed most of the day today. This has been typical during my treatments, some good days, and some bad days. Unfortunately there have been more bad than good, so I apologize for such a long time between updates, but it's been a whirlwind of fatigue and sickness, and trying to find time for work and family in between. Needless to say it has been a difficult five weeks!

So here's hoping that I will quickly be back on my feet. I have not had to take a pain pill for my hip in weeks, so praise God for that! My back seems to still be having problems, but we're going to have to wait and see how that heals up.

I am slated for my next Zometa infusion in the morning, but due to being so sick today, I'm going to have to call and postpone that a few days. I don't have the energy today to make it there and the Zometa tends to wear me down anyway.

My next appointment at Moffitt is April 8 and 9 for my octreatide scan. April 8 will be day 1 of the scan where I will have a radioactive dye administered. April 9 a.m. will be day 2 of the scan and the results will be ready for the doctor's follow up appointment that afternoon. That appointment is late and we don't know how long it will take, so the plan will be to go down Thursday morning and then stay Thursday and Friday night and come home Saturday. My sister-in-law and mother-in-law will be watching the kids.

I have to follow up in a month with the radiation oncologist and have a PET/CT scan. This will help them see how well the radiation has worked and whether any further treatments are needed. I certainly hope not!

I appreciate your thoughts and prayers and encouragement throughout my ordeal. I especially covet your prayers regarding my job. They have been very patient through this whole thing, but I also acknowledge that they can't justify keeping me on forever if I'm unable to produce. I pray as the radiation wears off that my productivity at work will increase. Being a single-income family is worrisome. I'm trying to simply put my trust in God with all this, but it is still difficult. Thank you for your continued prayers and support.

I hope to send more out later. It's about time to head back to bed :(

Here's hoping that each day gets better and we're moving forward! Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Gary, I will be praying for you and your lovely Schriver ladies through this time - that it will be a short time and your work will be easier for you. Monique McKellop

    ReplyDelete