Thursday, December 17, 2009

Judge Not! An inspiring yet convicting story

God used an event recently to teach me a lesson about judging. Before heading up to Valdosta last Thursday, I needed to pop by a gas station to top off my gas, check and fill my tires, and check my oil. I stopped at the gas station and saw that a big lawn service truck was at the air pump. They had a big trailer hitched to a pickup and the trailer was big enough to house it appeared three or four lawn tractors. They were bringing each tractor out one by one and checking and filling the tires. I decided to get gas first to give them time to finish, but when I was done pumping, they still weren’t done. These were some unsavory looking characters. I sometimes get mad at lawn service trucks because they block the roads and some of them act like they own the neighborhood. I was getting frustrated because I was in a hurry to get home and they were holding me up. In my heart I thought, “God, I really hate lawn services!”

I felt God basically tell me to stop fretting and to just pull behind them and wait for the pump to free up. I was just sitting there trying to be as patient as I could, when the most unsavory looking of the bunch walked up to my window: A big black guy with tattoos on both arms, both legs, and his neck with a bandana around his head with skulls on it. If I had seen this guy on the street, I probably would have avoided him. He walks up and taps on my window. I rolled it down and he says, “Are you waiting for the vacuum or air?” I told him the air but to go ahead and I would wait. He then says, “No we’re going to be a minute. My co-worker needs to run into the store here. I would be happy to fill your tires for you.” I was surprised. I told him he didn’t have to do that but he insisted. He went around to each and every tire and checked each thoroughly and brought them up to the right pressure. When he finished, I felt compelled to give him something but didn’t have any cash on me. I just went to shake his hand to thank him and he shook my hand and patted the back of my hand with his other hand and said, “God bless you! Merry Christmas!”
I felt both happy and yet ashamed at the same time that I judged him when he did me such a kindness. He really made my day to realize that there are still good people out there who would help someone like that. It drove home to me again not to be so judgmental. He walked away with a smile on his face and his co-workers patted him on the back. It wasn’t a big job, but the fact that he was willing to do that was so inspiring to me.

God told me that this man was a believer and that he had wrestled with many demons, but was solidly in God's camp. I looked at him as I drove away, and realized he looked a lot like the big black "kick butt" angel that I saw in my dream a few weeks ago. Could this be my guardian angel? Was that a human being that helped me, or my angel? I guess if he came to the Lord, he must be human, but I imagine that the "kick butt" angel would look a lot like this, since he initially frightened me too.

How many times have I seen someone just like this man and gone the other way because he looked "undesirable"? How many blessings have I missed out on because of my judgmental attitude? God had already been getting rid of the judgmental spirit in me, but obviously I still have a long way to go just like we all do. This was such an encouragement to me. Just a small act of kindness, but the love behind it spoke volumes!

Lord, bless that man who helped me when I was in a hurry. He is Your servant. Help me to always look for good in others in whatever shape or form they come in. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment